Friday, February 19, 2016

Day 9: Friday: The logical step

My baptism took place the day after my thirteenth birthday, in a large Pentecostal church. It occurred during a regular Sunday morning service in the font with warm water. Though young, I had made a strong commitment to living my life as a Christian and believed baptism to be the logical step. I had grown up in a Christian family, and while believing that I was ‘saved’ (would go to heaven), I never had a clear conversion experience such as I often heard about and saw during church services. I did feel some uncertainty about missing this step and felt that baptism would cover it.
    The actual experience was very special for me. Afterwards I felt joy and elation. At my request, the song “Oh Lord, You’re Beautiful” by Keith Green was sung.

Oh Lord, You're beautiful
Your face is all I seek
For when Your eyes are on this child
Your grace abounds to me

Oh Lord, please light the fire
That once burned bright and clean
Replace the lamp of my first love
That burns with holy fear

Did your baptism feel inevitable, or were you on a more crooked path? Is there a logical step before you now, or does the next step look surprising? Seek God’s guidance for the next step.

Extra: To listen to ‘O Lord, You’re Beautiful,’ click here.
Reflection by Liesl Richter, South Yarra Community Baptist Church, 23 January 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...