Friday, February 12, 2016

Day 3: Friday: New life, new name

All of the men and women of Ndangoya’s community chose new Masai names, filled with meaning for their new lives. All of them except Ndangoya. He said to me, “Of all the stories you told us, one I like most. It attracts me, the story of the man who left everything and led his people from the worship of a tribal god in search of the unknown High God. If you permit me, I would like to be called Abraham.”
    And so, with the whole neighborhood and visiting neighborhoods watching, he stood in the middle of the stream, and I poured water from the stream over his head – “Ndangoya, son of Parmwat, chief of your people, Masai – I baptize you, Abraham, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

Was there a particular Biblical story or character who attracted you to faith? Which Biblical story or character do you identify with now? Spend some time reflecting on it.

Christianity Rediscovered  Reading from Vincent Donovan Christianity Rediscovered 25th Anniversary Edition. (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2003), 74.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...