Thursday, February 18, 2016

Day 8: Thursday: Of course I was scared

I knew, in my heart, that baptism wasn’t about purity or the washing away of sins. It wasn’t going to protect me from anything. Like carrying a child baptism would require going deeper into mystery and darkness, into eating and living, eating and suffering, eating and dying. It would mean being baptized into the crucifixion of the world, as Saint Paul wrote, “into Christ’s death … into the tomb with him.”
    Of course I was scared.

Were you scared by the idea of being baptised? Are there things about being a Christian which scare you now? Tell God about your fears.

Take This Bread: A Radical Conversion 
Reading from Sara Miles Take This Bread (New York, Ballantyne, 2007), 123.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...